Mooremack News," October 1948)
(Courtesy of Vincent
From the Baltimore Sun comes an item about
the biggest reconversion job at the Baltimore Bethlehem Steel yards since
the war—the reconversion of the former Mormacland from aircraft carrier to
her original status of cargo ship. The Mormacland, named for Rear Admiral
Emory S. Land, USN (ret.), was requisitioned by the Navy on May 6, 1941, and
was quickly converted to an aircraft carrier. She sailed under the name of
U.S.S. Archer. She was later taken over by the British Admiralty and
renamed H.M.S. Empire Lagan.
At the end of the war
she was returned to this country and laid up in the James River. Recently,
the 492-foot ship was purchased by a Panamanian company for which she is
being reconverted. The present Mormacland, built in 1946, operates in the
Pacific Republics service from the United States West Coast to the East
Coast of South America.